Memphis Teacher Residency
City Year is proud to partner with Memphis Teacher Residency, so our alums can continue to lead transformational change on pressing social problems.
Memphis Teacher Residency offers City Year alums
Memphis Teacher Residents are college graduates invited to train with a mentor, receive coaching and earn a Master of Arts in Teaching degree through Christian Brothers University as part of their 12-month, pre-service training. In addition, residents receive the following benefits:
- $14,400 stipend for the residency year
- 100% of master’s degree tuition covered by AmeriCorps or other programs
- free housing provided during residency year
- eligibility for loan forgiveness programs through Memphis Teacher Residency’s placement schools
- intensive classroom experience under mentor supervision
- professional and personal relationships through intentional events and shared housing
- staffing and coaching support throughout the four-year program
Why City Year loves Memphis Teacher Residency
Memphis Teacher Residency is a faith-based, nonprofit organization founded in 2009 to recruit, train and support effective teachers in a Christian context. Since then, more than 1,000 people have been trained and supported by Memphis Teacher Residency through three programs: a teacher residency training program and two summer academic enrichment camps. Upon completion of the residency, graduates earn a full State of Tennessee Educator License and agree to teach in a Memphis systemically under-resourced school for three additional years – while earning an average annual starting salary of $50,000. You do not need to have an undergraduate degree in education to apply – all majors are welcome.
Visit Memphis Teacher Residency’s website to apply online.
To identify your City Year affiliation
Please identify your City Year affiliation on the online application.
For more information
Please contact a recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org for more program information.
You can also schedule a time to speak to a recruiter about residency questions.