Volunteer in Greater Boston
Join us! Volunteers are an integral part of our work: helping Boston and Everett students, schools and communities succeed. Whether you’re looking to make a one-time or ongoing commitment, work with your hands or inspire a student, there’s a volunteer opportunity for you.
Our Volunteer Impact Team believes that with the right supports, every student can succeed. We work closely with Boston and Everett Public Schools to leverage the power of volunteers to support our communities and schools. See below for more information on volunteering with us.
For more information on the work of our Volunteer Impact Team, you can view our impact report here.
City Year was amazing! I was so impressed with the magnitude and all that was done and the quality of work. Our school is so much more inviting and has a community feel.
City Year Greater Boston offers the following custom opportunities for corporate groups to sponsor for their employees or members. We align these opportunities with city guidelines on public health and also offer virtual and remote options. Please fill out this form if you are interested in learning more.
- Physical service events: these events take place at a school or community center and usually include painting, murals, landscaping, organizing, light construction and the creation of resource kits.
- Service workshop: these projects benefit a local school or community center but are completed remotely at City Year, the event sponsor’s office or virtually. These can be hosted for employees during the workday, or as a “Craft Night”, which is a standalone teambuilding time in the evening.
- Hybrid events: We are also offering hybrid options, where sponsors can opt to do small, satellite physical service projects in combination with virtual service workshops.
- Signature events: Throughout the year, City Year Greater Boston hosts a variety of signature events, such as MLK Day of Service. Due to the popularity of these events, there are restrictions to the number of volunteer spots available for corporate groups at no cost; for larger groups, sponsorship opportunities are available.
Small group service
City Year Greater Boston is fortunate to have champions in the community, and has a few opportunities for building support among your networks. You can organize the below opportunities among friends or colleagues. For more information, please fill out this form.
- Supply drive: organize a supply drive or packing event within your community to benefit Boston and Everett students.
- At-home service workshop: gather your own materials and volunteers and organize your own service workshop to benefit Boston and Everett students. This is a great opportunity to combine with supply drives to create more engagement.
City Year Greater Boston offers the following opportunities for individuals to get involved with our work. For more information, please fill out this form.
- Mentoring: our AmeriCorps members are a diverse group of young adults ages 17-25 dedicating a year of service to Boston and Everett Public Schools. The Mentoring Program aims to give corps members a one-on-one relationship with a mentor by creating matches based on a corps member’s professional goals. The program runs from January to June, with applications typically launching in November.
- Individual donations: you can directly support our students and teachers by donating items from this list. Our volunteer team will coordinate to incorporate these items into future kits for students and teachers, or work directly with schools for distribution.
- Informational session: support our work by organizing an informational session for your company, college or community groups.
Learn more about City Year Greater Boston
City Year Boston’s virtual Starry Night Fundraising Gala is coming up on May 21st. Latoyia speaks to Sandra Lopez Burke,...Read more about Help Students Succeed with City Year Boston’s Virtual Fundraiser [NBC10 Boston]
More than 200 volunteers filled the halls of Excel High School in South Boston to paint murals, office spaces, lounges,...Read more about More than 200 volunteers spruce up high school in South Boston in honor of MLK [7 News]
City Year AmeriCorps member and partner teacher at the Henry Grew Elementary School talk about the challenges and opportunities of...Read more about Teachers & City Year Team Up to Manage Virtual Classroom Challenges [Dig Boston]
It takes a lot to serve as a tutor, mentor, and role model to a classroom of students, not to...Read more about 5 critical skills I learned with City Year Boston